Location: Michigan Avenue/Lincolnway corner of the Court House Lawn, La Porte
Dedicated: May 24, 2001
County formed by Indiana General Assembly and La Porte selected county seat 1832. Three courthouses built on this site: first 1833, second 1847-1848. Present courthouse constructed 1892-1894 of Lake Superior Red Sandstone; designed by Brentwood S. Tolan of Fort Wayne in Richardsonian Romasesque Style. Incorporates cornerstone from 1848 courthouse.
Features include open-arched central tower, stained glass window transoms, wood paneling, and gilded friezes. Goddess of Justice stained glass graces courtroom. Tower has 272 piece glass skylight; gargoyles decorate exterior. Included in Downtown La Porte Historic District, listed in National Register of Historic Places 1983.
Indiana Historical Markers Searchable Database
Information about Indiana markers can be searched by county, and/or by words in the marker inscription, title, and marker locations fields.